Poop dust with indoor chicken?

Iloveourbabychick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Hickory,NC
We have a 1 year old rooster.He lives in our bedroom.He has took over the whole bedroom.We have chicken dust mostly in this room but it is showing up in other parts of the apartment now.We would love to find a home for this rooster but no one wants roosters.He is a handsome sweet guy but he dont know hes a rooster.He thinks hes a human.Poor guy.Anyways I went to the doc the other day and I asked him about it and he says the dust is coming from dried chicken poop that has bacteria in it.Oh great and I thought the swine flu was bad.Can this be harmful to us.We are already coughing.Please help.We bought masks but we thought it was for the swine flu maybe we should be wearing them around our own house...Helppppppppp

Can't you put him outside in a makeshift coop until you get rid of him? Have you tried Craigslist? That isn't very healthy to live with a rooster in your house. They are not housepets-they deserve to be outside if they can. I hope you get rid of him soon! Good luck!!
fl.gif

I'm sorry if I sound harsh-to be honest; when you said he has taken over your bedroom, I grossed out. Dried chicken poo in your house is not healthy! I couldn't wait to get my chicks out of the house and into their coop. I love them dearly, but still-the dust alone was enough to make my skin crawl!

Last edited:
Ummm....coupla things.

IF you're gonna keep him in the house---and there are people on this forum who have house chickens, do a search for that---then bedding is of the UTMOST IMPORTANCE.

Because if you have him in some sort of cage with pine wood chips that you buy in a bag at feed stores...you can scoop that poop out with a cat scoop and greatly reduce the dust.

But...chickens are naturally dusty because their feather have a little waxy coating as they come in...so that is always breaking off and it makes a thick white dust. Which combines with the poop dust.

I would check with:
local feed stores about rehoming him
craigslist
putting a flyer up at any farm coop near you
getting in touch with local 4H kids and seeing if any need a roo

My local feed store will take a roo (free) and keep him in their outside cage display until somebody wants him. But please note: once you give him into that situation he may be...going to freezer camp if nobody wants a breeding roo.

Best of luck. I don't recommend keeping anything older than a two week old chick in the house. But if you are, get some serious bedding system going.

And get that boy some diapers!

First off...our Happy isn't gonna end up as anyone's meal...pretty nasty to say that about our pet. Happy was hatched from an incubator a year ago today. He is a beautful Blue Laced Red Wyandotte,a handsome big boy.

No, he's not in a cage. And the reason that we cannot bring him outside is because we live in an apt. complex.Wouldn't be kool just bringing out a chicken, do ya think?

The bedroom is half tile and the rug part I cover in newspapers.The dust stays pretty much in that room as the door is closed, because we have dogs.

We raised him.So many ppl told us that a baby chick alone would not live. I beg to differ. We loved him, our cats babysat him. Now he is way bigger than our cats. He still loves to play hide and seek in his room.He loves us to eat with him.

Anyone within the area of Hickory NC who would love an incredible roo, plz let me know..........

When I first found my baby chickie, I seriously thought about keeping her inside because she was so cute. Luckily, we have a backyard... so she went there.

You can always keep him inside, I'm sure it'd be really hard to let him go if he's that close to your family.

Try this-
http://www.chickendiapers.com/
smile.png

The dust you are describing is what is called dander. All birds have it, some more than others. I used to work at a pet store that specialized in birds so I am pretty familiar with the stuff. I've never heard of poop dust... once it's dried up it's easy enough to clean up. I'm sure you aren't grinding up the rooster poop or mashing it by walking in it... so I wouldn't worry about the poop aspect of it. The dander however can cause an allergic reaction for some people.. coughing, sneezing ect. I know when I had the chicks in the brooder in my 3rd bedroom there was dander all over the room! I couldn't believe 4 little chicks could produce that much!! You may want to invest in a hepa filter for your bedroom if you are that attached to the roo. Possibly make him his own coop/run in the room since it seems to be the only safe area for him. It's only fair that he has his own special spot. Would help with cleaning time too. Then you could let him have his free time to run about when you want to. Just suggestions.... hope you find a solution that works for you!
Susan

You have a 1 year old roo in your apartment
lau.gif

Part of flock management is knowing where to raise your animals. An apartment is not the proper environment for a chicken.

I am sure you love your bird and will do anything for him, but I really don't see how this is healthy for you or your roo.

There are a couple of members here who hail from Indonesia/Singapore. One posted in Emergencies as his/her? 8yo house roo was sick.

It can be done, but you'd have to empty a big walk-in closet, or partition the bedroom and construct an aviary. Once you've framed up `Roo-De-Ville' cut up old panty hose, stretch out flat sections over the caging and attach with cable ties. that would contain most of the dander (filter the majority of the dust - would still be breathing the `fines').

Good luck finding a run in the sun for your roo. He has obviously been able to rely on you all thus far, keep on shopping him out to a grassy, if not a more caring, home.

Have you posted his photo and a `catchy' name in your ads?

Back
Top Bottom