Poop free heated water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicken Man Dan, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Chicken Man Dan

Chicken Man Dan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2011
    Suburban Ontario
    I bought a heated dog bowl and wanted to make sure that the birds wouldn't either end up in the water or poo in the water. I've seen a few ideas online using bent wire, but I didn't fancy drilling holes in the bowl housing. Instead I added a vac formed dome to cover it. It looks a little like a space helmet, but with the holes in the side, the birds don't seem to mind. I'm lucky that I have a vac former setup to do this (I design and fabricate consumer products for a living). So far, no wet birds and no poop.

The original bowl:
    [​IMG]

The vac formed bowl still in the form:
    [​IMG]

The finished assembly with holes cut (note the protective film hasn't been removed in this pic, hence the cloudiness of the material):
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Great idea!! I'm sure it keeps 99% of bedding out of the water bowl too. [​IMG] How nice that you have the resources and knowledge to come up with clever products like that - maybe you should market it???

3. Chicken Man Dan

Nov 4, 2011
    Suburban Ontario
    If there was just one size of bowl it would be easy to make for people, but there seems to be a lot of heated bowl sizes out there! [​IMG]

4. Chicken Man Dan

Nov 4, 2011
    Suburban Ontario
    PS. Teach1rusl,

I just went to your BYC page, and I love your setup! That's a great run!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by