Poop Free Zone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frida's mom, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Frida's mom

Frida's mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Is there anyway to discourage my free ranging chickens from pooping on sidewalks and under a parked truck? They have 3 acres of grass to use but favor areas near the entrance to the homestead. I have 5 hens.

Frida's mom

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Nope.

3. lmblackburn

lmblackburn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Mon. County, WV
    I too am looking for advice on this. My chickens seem to love to hang around our outdoor patio and poop all over. So this means that the humans, cat and dog also track the chicken poop inside....YUCK! I've been thinking that we need a sort of fence around these areas to exclude the chickens, but I am very interested in any other ideas or tried and true methods.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The only thing I know of is a fence. Mine all liked to hang out on the front porch. They don't free range anymore.

5. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    When I let mine out to free range I had to put up a cheap netting fence to keep them off our paved driveway. My husband didn't like them pooping everywhere. So now, the netting is attached to the door of the run, then runs along the driveway, around the end and out to natural areas. It is funny to watch the chickens run the obstacle course to get to the good areas of the yard. Now my husband is happy and no more poop.

6. BigBuckSnort

BigBuckSnort Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2008
    My Chocolate Lab seems to like eating chicken poop.. [​IMG]

Maybe you can get one of those![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by