1. CheeseTuna25

CheeseTuna25 Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    Georgia
    I work at a college and run a small chicken coop of from 85-125 chickens depending on how things are going. I pitched the idea of the poop hammock as a simple idea that would save us some labor cost of the 1-2 hours that it takes for 4 people to clean our coop. Some information is that our coop is on the back of a 30 foot trailer and is mobile, and our roost is about 20 feet long of 6 rungs. My plan was to either have a 2 poop hammocks that meet in the middle of the roost and have them be remove able so that 1 person can take it out and dump it in a mulch pile for the school's farm. The other idea I pitched was a hammock with a pulley system that we can dump the poop in the middle and scoop it out into a tractor to take the mulch dump. The issue that my superiors have with the poop hammock is that they are scared that chickens will fall into the hammock and be unable to get out. I think this is a joke of a consideration but I am asking if anyone has ran into any such problems, and if so what did you do to fix it?

Thanks, Tuna

2. yellowbee0110

yellowbee0110 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2016
    North Carolina, USA
    Why wouldn't they be able to get out? They have wings and are strong. I have a hammock chair in my yard that birds nest in. Maybe if the hammock was very saggy it could be a problem? Just keep it pulled kind of tight.

Honestly trying to picture any scenario where a chicken would be trapped in a hammock filled with poop is humorous. I'm no poop hammock expert, but it seems very unlikely.

Probably more likely is that someone doesn't want to have to deal with it.

3. CheeseTuna25

CheeseTuna25 Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    Georgia
    That's exactly my point.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Can you post pics of trailer coop inside and out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by