Poop is white and runny??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by senorita05, Jan 2, 2014.

1. senorita05

senorita05 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Hello
    I'm new to raising chickens. I have one hen and one rooster. The last couple of days I have noticed that my hen's poop is white and runny. She is eating properly and continues to be friendly and curious and still growing. I don't think I have ever recalled her pooping like that and I have her for about 5-6 months (she is between 6-7 months). However she does spend all her time outside so I don't watch over her all the time. I just wanted to know is this normal? What's causing her to body to do that? And how can I treat it if I need to?
    Thank you.
    I really appreciate people's input

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. senorita05

Dec 29, 2013
    It has been really hot as of late so I have been giving her extra water but she would drink a little bit then go away to explore. Also as of late she has been wanting to go sit in the coop instead of wanting to play outside like she normally does. I just assumed that it was because she was getting ready to lay eggs. I looked at the chart and I think its either egg yolk peritonitis or roundworm infestation. I'm leaning more towards the roundworm infestation because she has not started laying eggs yet. However I have not seen any worms in her poop. Is there any way that this can be confirmed? The local vet has little knowledge of birds. She lives with a rooster and 2 quails, do they need to be treated too?

4. TheChips

TheChips Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Thats a really help link you posted there! I bookmarked it.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Occasionally you can see roundworms in the stools, but all chickens have some if they are on the ground. Your regular animal vet can do a fecal float for both worms and coccidiosis. Most folks will worm their flocks once or twice a year. A medication like Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid or paste will work fine, and get all worms. Treat once and repeat in 10 days. Wazine or piprazine only gets roundworm.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  6. senorita05

Dec 29, 2013
    I have been observing her for the last 18 hours and her poop seems to be normal again. Should I still get medication for worms for her and her partner?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Worming is something that many people do, and many people don't. It is a personal choice. I used to think that it wasn't that big a deal, and thought that natural methods were good enough. Now though after reading a lot about diseases in chickens, having had worms or coccidiosis at one time can damage a chicken's intestines reducing their immunity toward other diseases. Fenbendazole or SafeGuard wormers can be purchased for $10-20 dollars depending on whether it is the horse paste or the liquid goat wormer. They are safe and do not harm in any way, but do a ton of good. Once or twice a year depending on if you live in a wet, dry,cooler or hotter climate.

8. senorita05

Dec 29, 2013
    Where can I purchase this medicine? And should I do it myself or get a vet to do it? Is there anything else I should get to protect them?
    Sorry for bombarding with questions but I just want to make sure my pets are protected and I'm making the right decision for them

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most farm stores or Tractor Supply will have SafeGuard Horse paste or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer--they are both fenbendazole 10%, and the dosage is pretty flexible--1/2 cc or ml for most average hens up to 3/4 cc/ml for general worming. For those who are treating gapeworm or cecal worms, a dose of 25 mg per pound weight for 3 straight days, repeat in 10 days X 3 days. Both forms of this wormer are 100 mg per ml/cc. Buy a 3 cc syringe to administer it. Repeat dose in 10 days, and discard eggs for 14 days past last worming (total of 24 days.) [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  10. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Safeguard goat apparently is cheaper when looking at the amount you get compared to past and the ratio dosage is the same, you get more for your money.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by