Poop looks like pancake mix

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzannaski, Sep 26, 2010.

1. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Hi
    I'm hoping there is a quick answer for this. I looked up everything I could about poop in BYC and the internet, but nothing described poop like what I'm seeing.
    A day or two ago, I noticed what I thought was a drop of spray foam insulation in the run, then I realized it was a poop. The next day they were all pooping what I now describe as thick pancake mix.
    The chickens are all acting healthy- good appetites, active.
    There was one afternoon when they had run out of water before feeding time.
    I feed them organic layer pellets and all natural crumbles. Previously they had regular crumbles from a different but reputable manufacturer.
    This past week, I've supplemented the feed with:
    -some fruit, but that's never bothered them before.
    -a leftover packet of cream cheese from Dunkin Donuts.
    -a couple ears of corn to peck at
    -grass/weed clippings
    -a small pumpkin, broken open so they could eat the seeds
    -a mix of electrolytes, crumbles and water for the two cross-beaked pullets, but of course everyone has to taste...

One article said it could be malnutrition that causes bulky poop, nothing on what to do about it
    Another article said it was protozoans
    A third said it was mito-somethings..I forgot, I remember thinking that was weird because I thought mitochondrians lived inside cells.

2. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
  3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Sounds like a ceacal poo, which is normal [​IMG] Check out the poo chart. Anything look familiar?

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Do they have worms? If not, it could be the change in your feed. When you change feed, it's like with any animal, you have to make the change gradually, or it can upset their system. It's normal for chickens to have this kind of poop, but if it's a continual thing, there may be a problem.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My guess is too much supplement, though you didn't say how many chickens. I have read to limit any treats or supplements to 10% of their diet. The rest should be feed or forage.

6. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Hi
    If you're referring to dhunicorn's poo chart, yes, that is where I got my three possible causes. The poo change does coincide with the change in crumbles. I'll watch and hopefully that's the cause. Yes, the treats are more than 10%, now that it is harvest time, and I've been feeling guilty for not letting them free range as much ( hawks are everywhere now).
    Is there another poo chart with pics?

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Given the title of this post I don't think I'll be coming to your house for breakfast.

8. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Yeah, I won't be having pancakes anytime soon.
    It does look like the poo in the chart for blackhead that was linked
    earlier (THANKS BTURBO87!)
    How do they get that all of a sudden?

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2010
  10. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Thanks Ddawn, I'd found it. Wonder why it didn't come up in my initial search, though.
    Anyway, the problem seems to have vanished. All poop is back to mostly normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by