Poop management indoors and on vacation?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crayonsmom, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    We had only have a single survivor from the first eggs our ducks hatched outside. She's been linving in a 10 gallon tank in the house for the past week and a half (Being held most of the time, so hardly ever stuck in the tank!) but it's clear that she's getting too big. We would normally keep her on the porch like we usually do with our ducklings, but we've had too many "accidents" with predators lately and it would be too risky to keep her out there all alone especially at her size. She's even coming camping with us for five days. She may be put outside with the other ducks 100% of the time once she's big enough depending on how things go. But for now, we have a problem...

She REALLY likes to spend time with us, but the ammount of poop she produces seems to grow twice as fast as she does! I bought her a little cat bed that has to be washed frequently. But she can't really walk around if she has to stay on that. We have carpeting in our house, so I can't just wipe up the poop that gets on the floor. I thought about diapering her, but the baby duck diaper harnesses (on thegoosemother.com) would be too small for her by the time I got one, and she's still far too small for one of the adult duck harnesses. Any ideas? Is there some way I could rig up something myself that she could walk around in? I have some ideas for a simple walking harness so I can let her swim and walk around the campsite on vacation, but not any good plans for a diaper harness for at home...

Also, we need some sort of container for her to sleep in when we go camping. Would a big Rubbermaid be ok (IF we have room in the car)?

Any ideas are greatly apreciated!

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Try lovemychix. She makes them custom based on measurements and could probably whip one up quick. She has an auction up right now for aprons/saddles/diapers.

3. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Thanks a lot! [​IMG] I'll definitely look into ordering a diaper when we get back from vacation. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by