Poop management

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Xtina, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I have a confession to make: I'm a messy, lazy person. Over the years, this has resulted in a stinky, stinky backyard. Admittedly, when I got my first pet as a grownup (my first dog), I had no idea about the practical requirements involved in picking up poop. Then I got the cat. Then I got the second dog. Then I got three chickens. When two died, I added three more. All of this in a very, very small backyard space.

I occasionally poop scoop, but it seems like a ridiculously ineffective task. For one thing, it rains here and is dark for 8 months of the year. I never make it out to the backyard to do more than feed, water, and collect eggs. I follow a path to do it so that I minimize my chances of stepping in dog poo. When it's summer and I do poop scoop, it's pretty much impossible to adequately remove the poop from the grass. The chicken poop is too small. If one of the dogs gets into something (like chicken food), the resulting liquidy poo is impossible to pick up. I use one of those poop scoopers that has the jaws and whenever I pick up some poop, I tear out a small bit of the grass too. If the grass gets even slightly high, now I can't even find the poop. Then there's the flies, all summer long, zooming around trying to eat all my chicken and dog poop. My yard is disgusting and obnoxious and I'm ready to make a change.

When I go to my neighbors' yards, some of them have more pets than I do, but there's no evidence of poo or smell. Obviously, these people are much less lazy and much cleaner than I am. But I have no idea how they're accomplishing such a clean yard. I could ask them, but then I have to admit how gross my own yard is. I want to have a clean yard, but it seems like such a phenomenal task. So give me some ideas, please! How do you guys manage your poop? How much time do you spend, what do you use as a ground cover, what tools do you use to collected, how do you compost and/or dispose of it, how often do you clean, and so on. I need some serious help if I'm ever to have a nice yard that I would allow my child to set foot in!

2. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Once a week (at the minimum!!) get out there with a poop scooper and a 5-gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag so you can easily throw it away. Scoop that poop!! It is not healthy for the animals, or you! Set a day for this chore but do be ademant about it, it really is important. don't care about the grass, it will grow back. Give your animals a nice place to live [​IMG] YOU CAN DO IT!!! [​IMG]

3. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    That's another question I've always had. I hate throwing away my poop in plastic bags. I feel like that's just putting something that's compostable into a container that will make it never compost and just sit and fester in the dump forever.

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I agree... if you don't do it for smell control.. do it for the health of your animals
    Shelly

5. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    It is, I agree, but do you have any other options at this point? I would say to get your yard clean FIRST and then try to figure out another method for throwing away poop. Do you have a composter? and from what I know only chicken poop could be composted, not dog....I could be wrong though.

6. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    THROW IT AWAY! dog and cat poop is NOT compostable, it stinks. I know, I have LOTS of dogs, and I dont scoop very often either out in the big yard. I scoop my little poodle yard several times aday.
    so now I think I'll get my big bucket and trash bag and go scoop the big yard.... thanks for the incentive.

pam in TX where its 106` right now

7. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm definitely going to make a more concerted effort, folks. That's my goal with this. I also know that dog poop can't be composted for use as fertilizer, but I was once looking at ways of composting it by basically burying it that I thought would be good. I never implemented it because it would have involved digging a big hole.

What tools do you guys use? Because I have to say that nothing I've tried makes me really happy about the picking up. I've even considered only taking my dogs for walks so that they never poop in the yard, but I still have chicken poop to contend with, and as a working mom, I just don't have the time to walk them that much.

8. ShanCarl1971

ShanCarl1971 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Look up "Doggie Dooley". It's septic style system for your yard. You bury it in the ground and add enzymes to it to get rid of the dog poo. So, you just scoop and dump, then add the enzymes every so often. Even if you didn't buy the system, it could give you a clear idea of how to implement the system on your own.

9. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Pam..when its 106* outside just grab a No.1 wood and TEE-off on the poo.. its probably so dry it'll turn to dust. This way its more fun then picking up crap, its exercise, and you are working on your golf stroke lol

10. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    My husband uses a shovel for the dog poop and the 5 gallon bucket, although I would use a pooper scooper (just what I am used to). I have my chickens contained in their yard and do not have much issues with their poop since it is pretty big and the poop just kinda disappears after a while. I rake their yard once a week to get any left over weeds and food scraps out. I do use a shovel for their coop when I clean it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by