1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop management?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyChickenMomma, Nov 14, 2011.

1. CrazyChickenMomma

CrazyChickenMomma New Egg

Mar 31, 2010
    My chickens poop in their nesting boxes and it's disgusting. They free range all day and go into the coop as soon as dusk comes. I have a large coop with plenty of options for sleeping but they won't even approach the roosting poles... am I doing something wrong?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Are your roosts higher than your nest boxes? If not, they need to be. Place them higher, make them accessible and block off your nest boxes for several nights. They will start to roost on the roosts. Make sure your roosts are wide/thick enough to be comfortable and have adequate distance from the wall.

If this doesn't work, just place them on the roosts each night and they will get the picture.

3. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] How old are they? What do you use for roosting poles?

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Are they laying yet? If not , close off the nest boxes til they do.

5. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    I feel your pain. I added a dozen hens to my existing flock & the new ladies weren't used to a roost from their old 'home.' So, I had to put mine on the roost at dusk each night for about a week & they eventually 'got it.' Some learned after my doing that once, others took a few nights of my putting them up there. They'll get it. I didn't need to block off the nesting box. They'll learn, don't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by