1. WalkingTreatMachine

WalkingTreatMachine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Providence, RI
    Hi All,

Having some analysis/paralysis with the poop management issue, hope you can help! I have a very small urban coop, the indoor portion of which measures approximately 4ft x 3ft, and accommodates 3 standard-sized hens. Due to the small size, the roost runs diagonally from corner to corner, and is directly above the walking space on the floor, rather than off to one side. At the moment, the floor of the coop has a bottom layer of pine shavings and a layer of hay above, which allows the droppings to fall through so they are not being directly walked on in the mornings until it gets scooped. I didn't add a tray beneath the roost because sometimes they are already off their roost walking around in the area below before I get to them. I think if I put in a tray, the poop would just be right on top getting stomped in, in a matter of a couple of minutes in such a small area, right? So, I have been scooping every morning, but hunting under the hay for the droppings is a time consuming pain in the butt.

What is the best way to manage poop in a small coop to keep chickie feet clean and morning clean-up less tedious?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! :)

2. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We use a deep bedding method to manage our poo. Our coop is 4 x 18 and we initially put 6 inches of shavings down with 4 inches of hay on top. For the first month or so we just added a clean layer of hay every day. The chickens manage the rest by digging and scratching in them. Now we clean out the the top layer of hay and stuff that they've scratched together about once a month and add a layer of straw. It makes the best compost we've ever had!! We also bought everyone some wellies (rubber boots) that we wear in the chicken yard and house.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

How about moving the roost left and right or 90* right angle put a 2X2 or 2X4 and add a poop try like this by cutting it to fit under the bar. I slide it out every morning and scrape it into a poop 5 gallon bucket I have close by.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    I agree with SteveBaz. Try moving the roost.

I have 4 hens and our roost is only 2 feet long. They snuggle up there just fine. I lay a piece of newspaper under the roost to catch 90% of the poop.

5. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    sand in the coop, use a sifting scoop.

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Agreeing that some kind of tray will make you life easier.

If you cannot get a slide out tray set up, maybe you could build a grid or slats above that would allow the majority of the poop to fall through. (just thinking if you could adapt what Eglu designed where there is a complete slide out bottom located under bars above -- the poop falls through for the most part, and the chickens walk on the bars. Slide out the poop tray and dump and you are good to go. )

7. WalkingTreatMachine

WalkingTreatMachine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Providence, RI
    Thanks so much, everyone! The teeny city coop is cramped but I'm glad to get some advice from those who've come before [​IMG] Right on with the poop tray- I think I will try moving the roost as well, and if that doesn't work, maybe switching to sand and sifting will work nicely. Amending my compost pile with a little sand sure wouldn't hurt. Thanks everyone!!

8. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    Switch to sand. Scoop with kitty litter scoop. In sand, the poop sort of rolls up into balls, making the whole process easy.

9. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    I've been using Equine Pellets inside my coop for chicks and ducklings, that has worked wonderfully. It absorbs moisture from waterer and turns into like a sawdust texture, and the poop which makes for easy removal. I have since graduated the ducklings out to the run and the coop is now just for the chicks. I just saw on BYC where a woman uses "boot trays" to sit under roosts. ( I found some at Lowes) I tried it last night in my coop and it worked great!!! All that poop from them sitting on the roost all night was all in one area and I just had to remove it, hose it down, and return it for tonight. There was minimal poop in other areas as they go in the coop and late and we let them out early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by