1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop Normal? Pictures attached

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fancypants1, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    We just got this pullet from a poultry show on Saturday. She is not eating any pellets just scratch. She is drinking water normally. She is isolated in our basement until I know she is not sick. Does her poop look normal??? She also has a very strange smell to her. Not a bad smell, it's hard to describe. Not a rotting smell just a funky, musty smell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do all of her poops have the red stuff? Can you take a poop sample to the vet and have it checked for worm eggs and coccidiosis?

-Kathy

3. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That chart says this is normal:
    [​IMG]

The feedstore I go to had six with poop like this, three of them died, so I asked for their bodies and sent them to UC Davis for necropsies and the necropsy report stated they all three died from severe coccidiosis, so clearly this was not normal. [​IMG]

-Kathy

6. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Not quite, the chart says as a one time thing those are fine, multiple times is always a different story, it's like getting a shelless egg, it's not an indication of something else unless you have many shelless eggs.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  8. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I am going to have someone come out and run a full blood test on her just to be safe. Not all her poop has the red stuff. She is only eating scratch right now, not touching the pellets even when I mix them in.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    A fecal will be much less expensive. [​IMG] Try making a mash with the pellets and see if she'll eat that.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  10. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by