Poop on butt feathers, a problem?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flockof4, May 18, 2010.

1. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    Two of my hens have a little poop on their butt feathers. Everything else is fine, no other health concerns. They've just always been very clean back there and now they're a little dirty. Food is the same, poop looks the same (no diarrhea). Any causes? Any cause for concern?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:It's a problem for me! I take a pair of scissors and clip the feathers when it becomes very clumped on there. It can't be comfortable and it makes the eggs dirty. By the time it becomes very noticeable it's like cement, so trimming, for me, is the only sensible option.

3. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    Thank you for the input, ADoz. I'll have to give them a little trim. How do your chickens handle it? Are they OK with the procedure?

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:They aren't all big fans of being picked up and held for any reason, but once I've got a hold of them, they're totally fine with it. It's not traumatic or painful at all.

5. spotman47

spotman47 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    palmyra wi
    I had the same problem many times , i found the best thing to do is put a pair of thin rubber gloves on get a shallow plastic container fill half full with luke warm water, hold them in there side ways, just scrub the extras of their butt and there just fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by