poop on chick bums;)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chixnewbie, May 17, 2011.

1. chixnewbie

chixnewbie New Egg

May 13, 2011
    wondering about the hard poop on the bums... i am new at this.... i have 7, four day old chicks who are doing great (i think)... i noticed one is chirping quite loudly while trying to poop and had hard poop on bum... i washed this off with warm water.... what else should i know and do??
    thanks for the help.

2. Pairie Faring

Pairie Faring Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Dodge City
    It's called pasty butt. keeping washing it off your babies otherwise it is fatal. You are doing good so far! [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Poo on the bums is often called "Pasty Butt". It is a bad thing for chicks because it plugs them up, and they can't poo and then they can die from that. So very smart of you to clean that off.

Now, I've heard this is caused by chicks being chilly, but I don't think that is proven.

Good job!

Sharon

4. chixnewbie

chixnewbie New Egg

May 13, 2011
    gotcha... pasty butt, huh....
    thanks for the help... brooder is set for 95 and they are staying out of heat so i think they're warm....
    so it's ok for me to wash it, i was afraid this would stress them...

should i change feed? or give then something to help avoid this...

thanks
    C

5. Pairie Faring

Pairie Faring Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Dodge City
    The bathing is fine. Just make sure they are fairly dry before your put them back in. Chicks get cold easily. There is no real proven cause for pasty butt. Just happens. It should go away on its own. What are you feeding ?

6. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I'm not 100% but I was told that plain yogurt would help with the pasty butt...I've given mine alittle twice a week and haven't had near as many problems with pasty butt lately!! [​IMG]

7. chixnewbie

chixnewbie New Egg

May 13, 2011
    thanks for all the help.... yogurt? how would you give this?
    I am feeding them medicated starter chick....

8. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Just put it in a shallow dish or bowl and they'll eat it right up.
    As for the pasty butt, as stated above, make sure you wash it off asap. I had one chick that had it and I was away for the day. That night when I returned the pasty butt was bad. I washed her up and just as soon as I removed the "plug" a BUNCH of poo came out, immediately. I think that was a close one!

Good luck and WELCOME to BYC!! [​IMG]

9. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Another trick I used to prevent future pasty but with mine that had it is take a q-tip and put some olive oil on it. GENTLY turn this around the vent area and get all those feathers covered with the oil, poop won't stick. [​IMG]

10. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I am new too. Can they have yogurt without grit? And how exactly do you give them grit? We have some sand but I am hesitant to put it in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by