poop on eggs!! now what!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, Nov 25, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    my broody hen stepped in her big pile of poop and then got poop on her eggs! what can I do about it?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Imo.....the eggs will be fine ...some will come off on her feathers overtime .....but I would try and scoop up her poop so they dont get more dirty...

3. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    ok...I was under the impression they had to be clean or they will get bacteria....or something like that...IDK! this is my first hatch [​IMG] I am taking a few out and putting them in an incubator b/c I think she has to many and a couple are farther behind in development

what would be the best way to clean them before I put them in the bator? a dry brush maybe?

4. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I have never incubated eggs ....YET ......but what I have read is to use a dry paper towel and gentley try and remove the poop ...you dont want to remove the natural "bloom" that covers the egg and protects the shell that is porus.....good luck !!

I was under the impression that in a natural setting sometimes the eggs do get poopy /dirty....and thats okay ...but in an inclosed incubator there is a chance of bacteria ...if the eggs are really poopy I would personally remove the chicks once there hatched and dry ...Hope someone else jumps in on this thread with there two cents....maybe do a search just to make sure...OMG ! now I am worrying about your chickens and mine !!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I would leave the eggs alone. If you mess with her nest she can completely quit and not hatch anything. i wouldn't move any out to the incubator. She has a natural instict to rotate and move the eggs around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by