Poop on eggs - worms?

Sep 27, 2020
Northern California
So recently I have been noticing that often times there is a little bit of poop on the eggs. Mostly from 2 of my girls in particular. I have not noticed any other signs of worms but wondering whether this could indicate an overflow.

No birds sleeping (and pooping) in nest boxes, correct?

Are these younger layers? They may be having trouble shutting off the poop channel when they go to lay, so some is getting deposited on the egg.

I have three different breeds and seem to get it often with my Dominique (good amount), little bit w my buff orphs and not usually w australorp. I only have 4 total so not sure if a breed dynamic or individual personality. But seems ‘normal’ for them. Just my experience. I’ll be watching this thread.

Poop on chicken's feet transfers to poop on the shells. If the hens are sharing a box (and they all do have to use that ONE nest box) a hen with dirty feet will transfer poop to a clean egg as she settles in place to lay her egg. If there is mud in your coop you will have to add hay or other products to keep the chickens off the mud. Pullets just starting to lay may poop in the box so you'll have to inspect and clean the box.

Back
Top Bottom