poop on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by usmcpilot06, Aug 13, 2018.

1. usmcpilot06

usmcpilot06 Chirping

Mar 21, 2018
    I know it means time to worm them, but do I need to toss the eggs. Also, not many places in my area that carry anything for chickens. Other than DE what works. My grandparents always used DE.

Anna Ranieri likes this.
  2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Poop on eggs does not have anything to do with worm-load. DE, in my humble opinion is not a solution.

3. usmcpilot06

usmcpilot06 Chirping

Mar 21, 2018
    It is ok to just wash the eggs off correct? I ave not raised chickens since I was a kid bak on the farm..about 40 years ago. I forgot just about every thing I used to know.

4. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

Yep just wash them when you're ready to use them,until then just wipe the doodie off with a damp cloth or paper towel.:)

Chick-N-Fun and chickens really like this.
  5. Anna Ranieri

Anna Ranieri Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Suffolk, England, UK
    Hi, I'm new to poultry keeping and wondered if you could tell me how to know if chicken has worms? - And are there certain tell tale signs for us to look out for?

6. If your eggs have poop on them i have a couple questions.
    Are your chickens roostin in the nest boxes at night?
    If so, lets figure out how your set up needs to be adjusted to make them roost in the roost area.
    Is the poop on the eggs being carried there by the chickens feet?
    If so why. Is the coop and run enclosure large (and dry) enough?
    Maybe some photos of your set up would help us.
    I diffinately wash and refrigerate my eggs as soon as i bring them in the house.
    It makes me feel better and who wants to be preparing a meal and reach in the fridge and have to grab poop! Yuck!!
    E-coli not on my menu. Think about it....you touch the poopy eggs. You touch the fridge door and countertop where food is prepared, or the kitchen table.....

Chick-N-Fun and Anna Ranieri like this.
  7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Anna Ranieri likes this.
  8. usmcpilot06

usmcpilot06 Chirping

Mar 21, 2018
    20 birds, 12 by 12 coop in the barn, no run they free range...thinking about putting the nest boxes out side of the oop in the barn right by the coop. The top came of on of the boxes and they now use it to root on. I built another nest box but only two birds use it. On of them is using the old nest box, which has no top at the moment. I change the nesting hay daily for them . As soon as I get my new back hoe ith the auger I am going to build them a new oop with a 50 by 50 fenced area. they will free range through the day but I will leave the gate open to the fenced area. I have about five birds that have made their own little flock and do not hang with the other birds. They stay close to or in the barn most of the day.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Would be easier to fix the nest top than change the nest bedding every day, IMO.
    Poopy eggs here get washed and hand scrubbed under warmer than the egg water,
    water temp is important as it pushes out(warm) or draws in(cold) contaminants in shell pores, then I eat them.
    Unless they are really gross, then I might just toss them in the garbage.
    I have a couple birds that just can't seem to not poop when they lay,
    the 'two way door' must be malfunctioning

Pork Pie likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: