Poop on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JennyRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. JennyRed

JennyRed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    North Carolina
    My black silkie is broody and is sitting on 3 if her eggs and one from the white silkie. Sunday I discovered a green egg, Monday a brown egg under her. Tuesday I watched the EE and Brahma get the nesting box next to the silkie. They laid their egg their and I got them quickly. She was not getting ant more big eggs. Weds no egg and did not look under the silkie that afternoon. So now she had 2 green eggs as if yest AM. I had not marked the brown or green egg. Did not know which green to take so went out and marked them. Yesterday at noon my EE was back in the nest, went back out to check she was on the broody eggs. The silkie was outside. I move the EE to other nest and saw another green egg. Removed quickly. The silkie came back up. The Brahma went up, I checked that out and she was in the nest with the silkie to lay her egg. Now I really got irritated because of the fuss they were doing when the silkie went broody in everyone's favorite box. Lol, now they want in her box.

Any way this has been a funny and stressful couple of weeks ( I was trying to stop the broody but failed). I have not candled them yet, hopefully tomorrow. Too cold to do now.

These big girls are getting in the nest and putting poop from ther feet on the eggs. Will that hurt it, and the nest. Do I need to clean it if so how?

She is on day 11 now.

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there anyway to block the next box and give her a small dish of food & water? Even just surrounding the nesting area with chicken wire. The other girls will lay elsewhere if they can't get in there. Poop will be the least of your worries is they crack the eggs.

3. JennyRed

JennyRed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    North Carolina
    I have tried to figure how but too cold to try right now. I myself was being out their when they laid to keep them off it. But temp dropped too low for me to stay long so take many trips. It is a small coop. I worry about the wire cutting an eye or something if I try that. It will be warmer tomorrow at least a little above freezing I will try something. I have tried at the beginning putting her and the eggs in a carrier in the house she would not have it. She wanted they nest she made. Wonder now if she would sit on them if I try that again. Yes I have and do worry about cracked eggs too.

4. fisher101

fisher101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    You cut the wire just wide enough to fill the opening don't cut it to big cuz that will happen

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I use a nesting cage or so I call it and it fits around the
    nest and a small weight is placed on top with a feed
    & water dish hang on the cage wire for the hen ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by