Poop on hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JackLucas1, Oct 9, 2011.

1. JackLucas1

JackLucas1 New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Dear all,
    Please can you advise me on my situation. I am trying to hatch eggs under a broody warren. We are up to day 10 and she has poop on the clutch. I lift her each day, so she must of done it yesterday afternoon, however she is doing her job and moving them around and spread the poop onto 90% of them. I've picked off the big bits but am concerned as I have read the poop can effectively suffocate the embryo.
    My question is - Is pooh on the eggs bad? if so how bad? and what are my options?
    Please help

Ant

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Don't worry,,,it should not affect the hatch rate. Hens have been hatching for years without us helping.... Great luck on the hatch!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Nasty looking eggs under a broody is normal and really has no effect on hatching, but nasty eggs in the bator is a whole new animal.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Best thing you can do is leave her alone and stop "lifting" her. Just let her do her thing........Pop

5. JackLucas1

JackLucas1 New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the reassuring posts.
    I maybe getting a little too involved because she's a Warren, who are not typically broody birds, and I'm worried she may get bored and give up. But this is the second time she has gone broody in less than ten months, so i thought I'd give her a chance.
    It was also suggested I lift her and throw her gently to encourage her too pooh. not sure this sounded fair so i haven't tried it yet.
    Fingers crossed.
    10 days to go

Thanks again

Ant

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:As I mentioned earlier, just leave her alone and she`ll do fine. She will get off the nest and tend to business when needed. Many people feel the need to help nature do it`s thing and that`s just wrong. She requiers food water and privacy during this stage and any attempts to make her do anything is merely an intrusion. The only reasonable disturbance of her is candeling on day 7 and day 14. She`ll present you with a nice brood in a few days, so be patient. I always tell folks to leave her alone on hatch day as well. You can watch the little heads peak out, but save the counting and handling until the second day, when she leaves the nest with them for the first time. I know it`s exciting and hard to be patient, but it pays off in the end. Have fun........Pop

7. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Pop is wise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by