Poop on the porch

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicky baby, Sep 24, 2013.

1. chicky baby

chicky baby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Allegany Ny
    I free range my chickens. They are my most entertaining yard ornaments. I have one huge problem. I can't keep them off my porch! I'm hosing it off constantly! Any ideas how to keep them away? Will one of those owl pest control things work? [​IMG]

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I would put up a railing with lattice or hardware cloth and a gate.

3. chicky baby

Mar 17, 2013
    Allegany Ny
    I fenced off my porch with chicken wire, two rows high thinking they would stay off. They flew up and over. I felt like I was in prison, all that was missing was razor wire on top. I still had poop! Lol.

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    You may just have to cage yourself in. That's probably what they want anyway. LOL [​IMG]

5. BlueEggsDaily

BlueEggsDaily Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    Utah
    I had the same problem! So I was ready to "train" them. I kept with the same "yell" and noises to shew them off but kept a hose or spray bottle nearby.. When they ventured on the porch I would spray and yell.. Took a good couple days.. Now when they do try to sneak on (which is rare) I make the same yell (sheew) without water and they immediately get off.

6. chicky baby

Mar 17, 2013
    Allegany Ny
    I shew them, even spray water, but I don't catch them every time so it's hit and miss. They have learned dont go on the porch when mon is out there. Little stinkers! There must be a better way to out smart a chicken!

7. chicky baby

Mar 17, 2013
    Allegany Ny
    Thank you everyone for your ideas. It's good to know I'm not alone in this poopy situation.

8. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    Ours are just starting to venture onto our deck. My wife took the broom to them today. She didn't hit them,fyi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by