Poop Pics-what are these??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IroquoisEgg, Sep 27, 2010.

1. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    See the little white things? They are from someone's poop today, saw these before today, but had given them noodles and thought it was bits of noodles in there...no noodles this time though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. IroquoisEgg

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    anyone? are they tiny worms? they don't move though...

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Tape worms shed in the poop are described as looking like tiny grains of rice, which are the sections of the tapeworm being shed separately. They wouldn't be moving.

I can't see your pictures well enough to tell if this fits the description.

4. -Mr.HenryRooster

-Mr.HenryRooster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    looks like worms to me!!!!maby some meds will work

5. IroquoisEgg

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    ewww...will wazine 17 work? I have that on hand.

6. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Before you choose the worming medication to use, you need to know what type of worm you are dealing with. Different wormers work on different worms. For example, if the hens have tape worms, Wazine will not kill them. Have a vet check a stool sample, he can tell you exactly what wormer will work best.

Good Luck !

8. IroquoisEgg

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I would think that they would be in all the poop, but I have only seen them in my 2 spitzhauben pullets...that's who I am 90% sure the droppings are from at least. No other symptoms as of now. I have looked through the poop page, thanks for the link though! Fly eggs huh... They are small white pieces in the poop like very mini cooked rice.

9. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    IMO...they look like tape worm segments. I agree you should take a fresh sample to the vet to determine course of action. Fly eggs would generally be connected in a group. By these pictures it looks like they are scattered throughout the poop.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  10. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Quote:I just can't tell, but that's what's on my dog poop on a warm day and it's always fly eggs (that turn to maggots). To be sure, I agree with others, take a sample to a vet and they can check for parasites. Shouldn't cost more than $10 or $15.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by