Poop picture, is this coccidiosis

Feb 20, 2021
Salem, Oregon
This is from one of our meat chicks, a 3 week old freedom ranger. Is it blood? The color is more like cooked carrot than red. Should I treat for coccidia?
This was in a watery puddle. I wiped it up onto the white paper towel so it could be better seen. It was on a reddish colored wood floor. This individual chick also made a normal looking dropping and a normal caecal dropping, then this big watery splat.

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_092340955.jpg
    IMG_20220411_092340955.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 27
Have you ever had to treat any of your birds for coccidiosis before?

They
Have you ever had to treat any of your birds for coccidiosis before?
what would I use for treatment? I have heard the name corrid before.
They eat non medicated feed.
They get flock pro chick boost in a waterer and regular water in another waterer.
So far there has been this one probably bloody stool.
The adult chickens appear to be generally fine, I haven't seen any weird poop but they dont get the hourly check ins that birds in the house get haha

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_100947386.jpg
    IMG_20220411_100947386.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 10
Corid or amprollium is very safe for chickens whether they have coccidiosis or not, but I would go ahead and treat. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder in each gallon of water for 5-7 days. That should be changed daily and be the only source of water. Make sure that bedding is clean a dry, stirring it daily, and preventing water spills. Lifting waterers with board or bricks can keep it cleaner and help prevent spills.

That looks very much like coccidiosis. I agree with @Eggcessive advice on treating them. At that age, you could also still feed medicated chick feed. Are any of your birds vaccinated?
They were vaccinated for Maerks at the hatchery they were from, according to the Cascade Farm Supply I bought them from. They are from Dunlap Hatchery in Idaho. I am familiar with that hatchery, as it's where we ordered chickens from when I was a kid and teen.

I do have their waters on boards, which has helped a lot with keeping the brooder clean. I'll be getting the corrid this afternoon. Should I treat my adults too?

Back
Top Bottom