Poop picture-should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shiningeyes, Feb 1, 2017.

1. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I haven't ever seen soooo from any of my girls that looks quite like this. Everyone seems to be doing ok, eating, drinking, free ranging. I have one girl who hasn't laid in awhile but it's winter so I figured that was why. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe someone can tag @cartspony for me? I know she's super knowledgeable about poop :)

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Definitely not normal. @casportpony
    You didn't tag her correctly.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. shiningeyes

Mar 22, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Here's the other one that didn't load

4. shiningeyes

Mar 22, 2016
    Thank you for tagging @casportpony I don't always notice when mistype on my phone. I don't think I can tag anyways for some reason. [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Casportpony may look in here soon. There is a lot of different colored mucus in there, maybe some slightly bloody mucus. How old are your birds? Do you have a local vet who could examine a few fresh droppings for coccidiosis and worms, and do a gram stain for enteritis? Mine charges around $30 for a fecal float, some may be less.

6. shiningeyes

Mar 22, 2016
    They'll be a year in April. I'm pretty sure which bird it is. I may have to keep her separated to try and get a fresh poo as they free range most of the day. I do have an avian vet in the area. I'll ask tomorrow how much those test would be. They can check for enteritis from a stool sample-is that right?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I PM'd Casportpony to look at your thread. You will probably need to ask the vet for the gram stain for enteritis because I don't think that is routine. I would place her in a dog crate over night on a towel, paper towels, or puppy pad to collect your samples. Hopefully, it is just some mucus and intestinal shed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Is this hen behaving as if she isn't feeling well? Normally vocal but now mute? Normally active, but now standing around mostly in one spot, maybe nodding off? Facing a wall or corner with tail held low and flat?

9. shiningeyes

Mar 22, 2016

She is drinking and eating. Tail is high. She may be not quite as energetic but I'm not sure if that's actually so or I'm thinking that just because I'm worried something's wrong with her. The only "real" for sure difference is she hasn't been laying. I think she might be going through a light molt because I have been finding some of her feathers. My hens have slowed down but she's he only one who stopped.

10. shiningeyes

Mar 22, 2016
    Thank you eggcessive. I really appreciate the help I get here. I didn't notice any others like that but like I said they're out free ranging most of the day. I'll check in the morning again though. I'm hoping it's just some intestinal lining too. I've got to find my small crate so she'll be in with the others tonight and I can separate them tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by