poop problems

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lague Chickens, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Lague Chickens

Lague Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Got first batch of babies in May (3RIR and 3light brahmas) and all the Brahmas had poop stuck on their bums constantly. Got new babies on 7/30 (5 RIR and 5 BR) and now on 8/2 some of the BR have the poop problem. Do all breeds of chickens have this problem? Seems like my RIR never have this problem.[​IMG]

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I have 48 head .

Rir's , black Austrolorps , english game hen , barred rocks , and bantams and none have had any problems .

Are you giving them enough water ?

What kind of feed are you giving them ?

3. Lague Chickens

Aug 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Plenty of water.Starer fees crumbles.

4. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    are they getting enough excerise ?

How large is the brooder you have them in / OR COOP ?

Maybe consult with the feedstore and tell him the problem , he MIGHT just suggest something that might work

5. Lague Chickens

Aug 3, 2008
    Colorado
    They are in a 6ftx2ft brooder. I can say that the problem isn,t as bad as the LB had when I first got them. When the lady at the store first told us about wipping the poop off for the first 3 dats or so I thought I was going to die. Now it's just part of the routine. It,s our first time raising chickens. Have 2LB and 1 RIR that were born on 5/6/08. Had a total of 3RIR and 3LB but the dog killed 2RIR and 1LB a few weeks ago. She went to the pound an hour later. So we started out again and got 5RIR and 5BR just last week. Looking forward to some eggs soon from the older one that survived the dog attack. When should they start laying?[​IMG][​IMG]

6. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    How old are the older ones?

7. Lague Chickens

Aug 3, 2008
    Colorado
    I RIR and 2LB are 13wks old. 5RIR and5BR are 6 days old. Shouldn't the older ones be laying soon? We leave for vacation in a few days and I hope my girls don't lay while we are gone. That would be my luck.[​IMG]

8. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    well i heard that you are supposed to gently wipe their bums with a damp, warm paper towel. do not try to pull the poop off b/c it will only hurt the chick! best of luck

jenny

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I had problems with one of my japanese bantam chicks. I had to clean her bottom off daily. If wiping it with a damp papertowel doesn't work you can try to carefully cut it away with scissors.

Average laying age is usually quoted as being 16-20weeks but some may not lay until 23weeks.

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Too low brooder temps can contribute to pasty butt.

They should have an area in the brooder at least 90 degrees for the first week or two, and an area where they can move away from the heat if they need to.

I like this article from gail Damerow about caring for new chicks - she mentions the temp/pasty connection in here:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-2/Gail_Damerow.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by