POOP QUANTITY QUESTION! :)

Mr Bojangles

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
Sturgis, KY
Alright. I stated feeding my 14 chickens rural king brand layer crumbles. I was getting about 50 pounds of manure every 10 days. I've been collecting it out of the coop to sell. it was a 50 pound bag for $11. Everybody talks about Amish feed. 100 pounds for $16. The label looks about the same as the rural king bag. So I started buying Amish feed. The manure quantity dropped! By half probably. Snow kept me from the Amish so I bought some from rural king. Manure went back up! Lol. Egg production, I haven't noticed a difference. Wondering, what's up with that? Lol. Rural king feed keeping my girls more regular or giving to much stuff to make them poop more? :)

I've done some research. 1 study says 6 hens can produce 11 lbs a week. That's 1.84 a bird. X my 14. That's about 25# a week. Another says multiply lbs of feed by 1.15. I give 3lbs a day. So. 3.45# poop a day is a little over 24# a week. Maybe I'm off on my "10"days. BUT I just collect the manure in the coop From night. Not counting all the poop I can't count for during the day! :) lot of poop

I've done some research. 1 study says 6 hens can produce 11 lbs a week. That's 1.84 a bird. X my 14. That's about 25# a week. Another says multiply lbs of feed by 1.15. I give 3lbs a day. So. 3.45# poop a day is a little over 24# a week. Maybe I'm off on my "10"days. BUT I just collect the manure in the coop From night. Not counting all the poop I can't count for during the day!
smile.png
lot of poop

I'm confused...

Are you saying that 10 pounds of feed will give you 11.5 pounds of poop??

They poop more than they eat?

I'm guessing it's with added water, but could you show me your source, I would like to learn more.

I googled "how much do chickens poop" I checked a couple of the links that popped up. The pounds of feed x 1.15 was an official looking report type page. The 11 lbs per 6 hens was supposedly a university of Missouri thing. Both ended up being about the same poundage so I'll assume it's correct

I saw that...

Wondering what it weighs after drying, as it comes out of the bird with a 75% moisture content.

I might have to do some experimenting...
smile.png

When I clean my deep litter out, I get mostly dust...

I saw something about that on a site. Idk. I clean the coop everyday and put all the poop in a bag lol. Got heavy so I weighed it. 50+#. Maybe I'm wrong on the 10 days. No more than 14 days tho. BUT the feed is a big difference! Less manure would be better. But if I'm selling it. Ha I want more! I am interested in knowing if the amount of manure is a sign of being healthy or if it matters

If I give my dog good food, he eats less to get the nutrients needed, and poops less.

If I give him cheap food, he eats more and poops more...

Just an observation.

Wondering how much you get for a bag of poop?

Opposite with my chickens. They eat (maybe waste) more of the Amish feed and poop less. They seem to peck and scratch more at It. Eat less and poop more of rural king feed. I've been told my 50# for $10 is reasonable. I've Seen rabbit manure sell for 4 to 7 dollars. Chickens manure supposed to be awesome So higher price

Back
Top Bottom