Poop question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Patoot, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    How do you know when to worry about abnormal looking poops?

I looked at the poop page and I know one of the birds has worms (I'm treating now) and the worms looked like the ones in the picture. Anyway, the large majority of the poops look absolutely normal. Like almost all of them. Occasionally I see an abnormal one that matches some of the abnormal pics on the poop page.

Do you worry when it's just once in awhile or should you get worried when you see it at all?

Thanks.

Bree

2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    good question...I'm interested to know the answer

3. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    I think I'm just a nervous mother. [​IMG] The girls are all very happy, active, and eating very well.

Bree

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You may notice what seems like an totally abnormal poop - best way to describe it is to say it looks like melted chocolate. That's a cecal (ceceal) poop. Happens every 6 to 10 movements and is entirely normal.

5. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:So that's what is all over my patio! [​IMG]
    I thought it was from all the leftover tomatoes I have been serving the ladies....

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    YEP no worries unless you have multiple birds with runny off colored poop all the time. Breeding can cause some off colored ones. Foamy yellow is often internal parasites. Tarry , red or brown/black is often coccidia. There are tons of different colors and possiblities, a vet fecal swabing is the only way to 100% sure of what it is. Usually, it's just normal though

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
  8. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    Kittymomma, Thank you for the link with poo pictures! Although my 3 month old chicks have been acting normally, the mustardy poo made me think one or two were sick. I am relieved to see they are not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by