poop question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristip, Nov 30, 2010.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Yes I know those appetizing questions everyone dreams of.

I have 4 chickens I got from a local farm a few weeks back. One I noticed has loose poop. I thoght this could be due to stress from the move, but it is almost 4 weeks now and still a loose one.
    I know this is disgusting but want to know best thing to do. It is loose and watery and looks like a pile of dark mustard.

It appears the others are ok.
    What would you do or not worry about it. I am a worry wort.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

3. kristip

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Great link for my wierd topic.

So I beleive it is the ceacal droppings which it says is normal every 8-10 times, but I think it is more like daily. Should I be worried?

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Are you really sure it's all from the same chicken? I'd have to isolate to tell.

You could try some probiotics, from the feed store, or ACV in the water, or yogurt, etc.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Isolate her in a cage and then you'll be able to monitor her droppings to know for sure whether all her poops are like this or just some (and find out for sure if she's the one producing the loose droppings). I use boot trays under my roosts that I clean out every morning so I get a really good look at all of my chickens' night time offerings every morning. Every once and a while I'll see a dropping that's similar to what you describe, not a typical cecal poop. I chalk it up to something funky one of them has eaten that day, and sure enough the next morning all of the droppings will look perfectly normal.

6. kristip

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Well I am not certain who it is. When they are inside the coop itself, and nest boxes/under roosts inside, all poops look good and healthy and solid.
    But out in the run, there are usually 1 or 2 a day in there. I am not out there all day to see who it is.
    I have 4 birds.

Would giving them some yogurt give them good probiotics to help? Dont want to medicate if I dont have to, but dont want them getting sick

7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by