Poop saga...EYP? Other issue? (Pictures inside as a heads up!)

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Hi all, I've posted a few times recently related to other hens, but now I'm confused as it seems a third hen is having similar issues. Please bear with the rant, I REALLY appreciate any insight.

Brief summary:
  • All hens are the same age (~1.5 years old) but different breeds. All from the same hatchery.
  • Hen 1 has been laying consistent softshell eggs for several months, started noticing concerning stool from her for awhile but when it looked like the poop below (pic), I took her to the vet. No sign of internal or external parasite, tested stool, no obvious masses with physical exam. DID have concerning WBC count and got her through a course of antibiotics, retested blood and it came back normal. She's not laying still but now molting and poop looks good.
  • Hen 2 got really tired for several days a couple of weeks ago, falling asleep standing up, and I had no clue why. Ended up bringing her along to the vet for Hen 1's follow up, both got blood draws and ultrasounds. Hen 2 did have an egg ready to go, which she laid the next day, and then several days later perked up. She also had an infection and is now on antibiotics.
  • Now, I noticed concerning stool this morning (pic below) that looked just like Hen 1's possible EYP that made me take her to the vet in the first place. I was confused because it was directly under Hen 3's roost spot which is away from Hen 1 and Hen 2. Hen 3 hasn't laid an egg in several days and noticed her panting yesterday when it was 55deg (but humid). I just watched her poop, small amount but consistent with this new stool I'm possibly attributing to her.
Any ideas what the heck could be going on? Surely if 3 of them have this it must be communicable versus like a genetic reproductive issue. The vet didn't have a clear answer for it. So confused and not sure what next steps I need to take.

Attachments

• IMG_4401.jpeg
    IMG_4401.jpeg
    687 KB · Views: 19
Have you ever noticed any sneezing in the past when they were younger? Infectious bronchitis virus is the most common respiratory disease, and while most chickens do not have that much illness, they can suffer from reproductive disorders later. It it hard to diagnose much in chickens until they die, and a necropsy can be performed by you or the state vet (best.)

Have you ever noticed any sneezing in the past when they were younger? Infectious bronchitis virus is the most common respiratory disease, and while most chickens do not have that much illness, they can suffer from reproductive disorders later. It it hard to diagnose much in chickens until they die, and a necropsy can be performed by you or the state vet (best.)
I haven’t ever noticed sneezing or any respiratory symptoms with them other than one pullet who sneezed as a chick. The soft shell issue came before the new pullets however.

She's been very tired today and just laid an odd egg, looked body checked. She's top of the pecking order and not stressed, so I imagine it's illness. Do you know what common issues would cause diarrhea, lethargy, and egg issues like softshell, smaller, and body checked? The first two had infection apparent from CBC and one is now back as normal, one is in treatment. I'm overwhelmed, not sure if we should just try to get the whole flock to the vet at once but the vet didn't seem to have any answers for the first 2.

Back
Top Bottom