1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop shelf has them scared!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by purpledonna, Jan 21, 2010.

1. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    I just put in a poop shelf/tray below my roost and my hens have stopped using it!

I have gone down and put them on it for the last 2 nights... will this help them to learn to like the new addition or am I just wasting my time?

Once I put them on the roost they stay on it all night...

They are approx 8mths and 6mths old.

[​IMG]

2. LovinMyHensInNC!

LovinMyHensInNC! Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG][​IMG]

Chickens don't like change, that is for sure! That reminds me of when I changed over my coop from straw to sand and they were petrified of it! It took them days to walk on it! Don't worry, once they decide their poop tray won't hurt them, they will come around! I would keep putting them on there, though [​IMG]

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest taking it out for a couple days, then slipping it in at night. You may have to repeat a time or two, but they should be ok in a few days.........Pop

4. Diavolicchio

Diavolicchio Buk Buk Buk Buh-GAWWWK

Have you considered how you would feel if YOU were suddenly faced with the expectation of having to poop on a shelf?

John

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I had a similar experience. I put a droppings board under the most popular part of the roost. Several did not sleep over it the first night or two, but moved to another part of the roost. They did come around after a few days. Interestingly, the rooster was the last one to come around. Don't know if that means anything or not. Putting them on the roosts after dark or putting the board up after dark should speed up the process for you, whichever is easiest.

6. purpledonna

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Thanks for the responses! I will try removing the tray and putting it in at night. It's summer here so I don't mind putting it (and them) up after dark!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I think if you widen the roost they will accept it. They like wide shelves and platforms for roosting so they may think you expect them to roost on the drop board. I imagine them discussing it and wanting to explain to you how confused they are!

Any pics? It might help us to help you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  8. purpledonna

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    It is approx 30cm (12 in) wide...... I will keep putting them on their roost as they stay there when I do and hopefully it will sink in! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by