1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop shelf..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sparrker, Nov 29, 2011.

1. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I absolutely love the idea of a poop shelf so... this weekend I built some shelfs. I had no idea on how far below the roost to place it so the chichens won't roost on it. I placed it about 12-18 inches below the roost and was hoping that they wouldn't roost on it. Well some of my birds do and I take them and place them on the roosts every night. How far below the roosts should the poop shelf be? I do expect a lot of different responses. The more the merrier.
    Patti

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Around 8 inches works pretty well in that the chickens can't walk around under the roost, but it easily allows a scraper...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. Junaleefarm

Junaleefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Crane, Mo
    When we had a coop that had a bottom we had a poo shelf just a few inches below the roosts. I made the roosts removable so it would be easier to scrape off the poo board when needed.

[​IMG]

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I have two roosts...staggered heights. I ran a piece of plywood under both of them (40" deep). The board is about 2 inches below the lowest roost and 14" the upper roost. It works pretty slick. I don't have birds hanging out on the poop shelf....yet.

5. weimanator

weimanator Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    VA
    i ended up buildin mine with a hole in the floor and put wire over it to let the poop through from their roost and built a little catcher and just wheel it out to my compost pile. but now that its gettin cold and im wonderin if i should cover it up and do that....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by