Poop solution....hopefully (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savingpurple, Jul 3, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Before:

Here is the board that is directly under the night time roost they all use. It is also the slanted part above the nest boxes. Always ful of poop., and getting gross, and hard to keep clean.

[​IMG]

I scrubbed the board today, and had bought a 1/2 inch thick horse door mat, so much like a stall mat but only not as thick,and not nearly as large. Had to custom fit it, but it turned out okay. Can take it out, and really scrub when needed, but will hopefully help keep it more sanitary in between those scrubbings. I did layer underneath with Sevin just as a precaution.

[​IMG]

So what do you all think?

2. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    nice, i would have just put a lip along the outer edge and filled it with pine shavings.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Spray it with PAM. It should hose right off........Pop

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I use plastic boot trays under the roost. In the morning, it's easy to take the trays out over to the composter, dump/scrape out the contents, hose of the trays and replace them sparkling clean into the coop. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

Just curious...is that a vent there in back of your roost? I imagine you don't leave that open in the winter, right? Looks like it might create the conditions for a draft to blow over birds on the roost.

5. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Looks great Saving purple.......Great idea Elmo.....I use a piece of heavy tarp that I just roll up and take out to dump and replace. Keeps the dust down due to not scraping the poop boards....

6. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Elmo....no that is the window. It has a covered ouside piece that is hinged and can drop down in several levels depending on the temps. Will be shut closed all winter, well unless it is a very nice winter day, like fall temps. You can see my stick to open it up to it's fullest range, then there is a metal piece my husband added to drop it lower and many diferent levels. It latches shut on the outside.

I tried to find something, that they can jump down on, and not slip, but a quick clean up each mornig. This is what I came up with? Cheap cost, and softer to jump down on. Time will tell?

7. Chicka-boom Chicka-boom

Chicka-boom Chicka-boom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Like Elmo, I have plastic boot trays underneath the roost. I like Lollipop's idea of spraying with PAM - I'm going to try it! [​IMG] Thanks!

8. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Had to post this morning, that it was so much easier than scraping off the wood. I bought a stainless steel bucket also ,and just scraped it into that, an will add to the compost as it fills up. Helps keep the coop cleaner, than just scooping onto the floor.

I am happy......[​IMG]

Will try the Pam too....ran out of time yesterday!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a great solution but suggest you paint the interior for cleaning, to seal off the old poo smell in the poop tray wood and prevent trapped moisture issues under the mat. Particle board does not stand up to moisture at all, it swells and delaminates rapidly.

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If you spray your poop board/tray with Pam, it might be a good idea to do the spraying outside the coop. I'm not sure what kind of propellant is used inside the can or whether it's an airborne toxin to chickens' sensitive respiratory systems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by