Poop stuck in feathers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CarolinesChicks, Feb 15, 2016.

1. CarolinesChicks

CarolinesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2015
    My Black Australorp Bugsy is big and fluffy and beautiful. She is also temperamental and does not allow you to touch her. Right now she has quite a bit of poop crusted onto her bottom feathers. I don't think it's hindering her pooping or laying and because its cold and due to her personality, I have not cleaned off the poop. Will this cause an issue? I have read that this is just something that happens to the big fluffy chickens. She is almost a year old. I am waiting for it to fall off, but in the meantime wanted some additional opinions.

Thanks so much

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It can cause problems if it gets very bad, but more often than that it's a sign of problems. Diarrhea and pasty butt in adult birds is a pretty common sign of mite or louse infestation, and can be a general sign of ill health. You be wise to catch her and do a physical exam, as well as check for parasites near the vent; I would recommend clipping the affected and surrounding feathers away and cleaning the area. I don't know if you live in an area where it is hot this time of year, but even if you do not, you really don't want this problem persisting into the coming warm seasons as it can cause the infestation of maggots within the dirty feathers, eventually causing a wound which will of course result in more maggots (Flystrike). Flystrike is probably the most disgusting conditions I've ever dealt with, and I've dealt with many disgusting things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by