Poop stuck on chick's toes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AndChicksMake10, Sep 4, 2008.

1. AndChicksMake10

AndChicksMake10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    Baby Madge, our Barred Rock bantam, seems to have some clumps of poop stuck to her toes. All of the other chicks (regular size) have very clean feet. Should I worry? How does one clean a 3 week old chick's feet?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

with a washcloth, soap, and warm water. Just like you would a child's or your own.

ETA: or you could just dampen a paper towel or toilet tissue & gently clean off the poop.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Or you could dip her feet in some warm shallow water in a sink and rinse them off?

4. AndChicksMake10

AndChicksMake10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    Well, I wondered about that and figured it would be about as much fun as washing a cat! But if others have done it, it must be doable.

Another question -- do bantams tend to develop their mature coloring more slowly? The regular sized BRs are much further along in the barring and feather development -- Baby Madge has barely got the first white stripe along the tips of her wings.

5. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Try putting fresh grass once a week into the brooder too. Mine all cleared up when that happened and no one has poopy feet now and they're growing healthy and strong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by