poop stuck to butt feathers and not laying for quite a while????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hermia, Jun 14, 2011.

1. hermia

hermia New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    Hi, I have six chickens all fine except one who stopped laying about six weeks ago. I thought she was just having some time off as they had all layed through the winter even in the snow days! She was the most difficult to get near so I thought as she ran away from me fast she's probably ok. In the last week she got a dirty bottom. When I cleaned her with warm water and paper towel I noticed her vent was very clean, it was just on her feathers. The next night I held her over some warm water thinking it may be related to her not laying and maybe bunged up. I am also 1/2 way through worming them all just in case although cant see anything wrong with any of their poop. I have also given her gratted apple, yoghurt. She is only 1 year old, does any of this sound ok, her tail is up, she is rather wary of me now so doesnt rush up like the others. Her eyes are clear, she fights for peas if offered. I did find a shellless egg in the shed today. They have oyster shells. Please any advise. Thank you.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello and welcome to byc.
    i would try and get the sticky paste off her butt. to be sure she is pooping. you can use a luke warm towel and gently remove the pooped up butt. be sure she is pooping.

3. hermia

hermia New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    I have just cleaned her up again, I wonder if it is egg on her feathers as it was rather yellow??

4. hermia

hermia New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    She is pooping as the last time I washed her she pooped as soon as she was let down!

5. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:Maybe she laid a shell-less egg?

6. hermia

hermia New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    I am going to try and isolate her today as there wasnt much poop under her after sleeping just to see she is pooping properly. What do I do if not????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by