poop stuck to butt?!?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Jun 30, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a silkie that is 4 days old. I have to keep wiping it's butt. The poop sticks to it. Why?
    Krista

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's called pasty butt and it's caused by a number of things...being stressed, being too cold, being too hot. After you clean it off if you put a little olive oil on the vent area it will help keep it from happening again.

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Also, don't put any sugar in the water, it will make the poo runnier. If it is really bad, you can clip the hairs the poo is sticking to, but be careful.

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Also try doing a search on pasty butt.

5. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I had one that's doing the same thing. She just seemed to grow out of it finally. Does using Apple cider vinegar help with this?

6. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Our runty roo Penguin had that problem all the time when he was a chick. You just have to watch and keep your bird clean. They will complain and cry, but the cleaning is all for the best. I'd like to know how your pasty bird turns out as it grows. Our Penguin has been a slow learner, and if there has even been a little problem, it seems to have been with this runt, although I picked him because he was the cutest chick at the feed store!

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I did the olive oil trick and it worked perfect...no more pasty butt...as they get older that won't happen anymore [​IMG] Chick starter and fresh water only.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    They are on chick starter and water only. I only have 2 silkies that hatched and this one is quite a bit smaller than the other. I had mutts last time and had NO problems with this kind of thing. They were easy [​IMG] . What's another butt to wipe when you are already changing diapers on two kids [​IMG] thanks for the replies

Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by