poop stuck to turkey's butt

johncv

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 20, 2012
louisiana
i have a week old turkey. the other day i saw he had poop stuck to his butt and i helped remove it. then today i seen he had the problem again. is something wrong with him?

What are you feeding it? I would try to get some medicated feed in the little guy. I don't have any trouble with pasty butt with my poults but you can use a q-tip and put a little vasoliene around its vent area.

Hi,
some birds are naturally more prone to this condition, but it can also be caused by the bird being chilled or from the food (changes in feed, or a really high % of soy in the feed). Best thing to do is to make sure that the poult is in a warm brooder that is free of drafts and clean away any buildup on the vent with a wet cloth or q tip. If the vent is completely covered over and the bird cant defecate they can die from the condition. If you keep it clean though it should not be a problem. The medicated feed will not help this condition as the medication in poultry feeds that are available retail is for coccidiosis which does not cause pasted vent. If the bird begins to show other symptoms of illness such as trouble walking or lethargic or weak it may have salmonella. If you are able to and want to be on the safe side you can separate the bird with the pasted vent in another brooder away fro the other poults. If it has salmonella it should start to show other signs of illness besides the pasted vent within a few days. If it stays otherwise healthy then just keep cleaning it off and eventually it should stop. Usually if pasted vent is caused by chilling or from a feed will clear up after a few days. It is not uncommon for pasted vent cause by chilling or feed to only affect a small percentage of birds in a given hatch, those birds are just more naturally prone to it. Since it is only one bird it is probably not salmonella as this generally spreads quickly and affects nearly 100% of the birds in a given pen or brooder.
Hope this info helps and good luck.

Last edited:
I agree, pasty butt is usually a condition caused by stress of one kind or another. Brooder not warm enough or drafty. One great way to help clear up and prevent pasty butt, I learned this trick from this wonderful site, is a little dish of small grain sand. I just go scoop some out of my horse corral, sand, dirt, and all. Put a small dish of it in your brooder, they will act like a kid in a candy dish...and the pasty bumm will clear up.

hes not weak he is only a week old and already trying to fly. if and thats a big if he does start showing signs of salmonella what should i do. i only have one turkey so theres no need to put by himself. is there any other signs besides weak walking??

With my chicks at least pasty butt is a pain in the butt to keep clean ( although olive oil on the cleaned butt helps a lot) but I've never had any other problem with it, it clears up within a day or 2. The sand is a good idea and I sometimes also mix blended broccoli in their feed and that seems to work immediately.

main syptoms are lethargy, trouble walking, pasty vent and diahrea.it is most likely just a case of regular pasty vent from upset stomach or chilling. I dont know of any treatment for that type of salmonella other than take care of them and wait and see. i doubt it has salmonella if its flying around now. It wouldn't have the energy to do that if it was sick.

We just use warm water to clean them up when it happens which is not very often. If you let it go too long it will cause the bird to get lethargic. Clean it up, give vitamin water and keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom