Poop stuck!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Xtina, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    There's a small piece of poopy feathering by my buff orpington's butt. I tried to pull it off with my nails but she squawks and acts generally pained by it so I don't want to keep trying. I thought i'd let it just come off naturally but it's been there since I got her about ten days ago, so now I'm wondering if I should take it to phase two and dunk her butt in some water to loosen it up. Also, the poop is not blocking her orifice in any way, which is why I wasn't too worried about it in the beginning. any input?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can soak her bottom in warm soapy water to soften the poop and get it off of her.

You can also carefully use the scissors and trim it away.

3. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

You should loosen it with a wet paper towel first to remove it. I think it's probally a good idea to get it off in case it builds up and blocks her.

4. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks guys!

5. PAChickenChick

PAChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I had the same thing happen with my chick. I recall seeing a post where someone thought that is wasn't poop but actually something like an umbilical cord. (not umbilical cord exactly but just like that) and that it would dry up and fall off on it's own.

Not saying that this is the case...but either way...the one on my chick did fall off when the feathers in that area where replaced by new ones.

6. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    mine got the poo bottom thing and I did it like a bandaid.. real quick got it off then let them go.. they didnt even get phased.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I find it's easiest to snip away with small good scissors (this may not be advisable if you have a hen you wriggles a lot!). When I work on Annie's back end, she relaxes and "preens" me with her beak so I think she likes getting rid of that stuff! I am cutting away parts of feathers in the process but it's a good thing because then there's less for the poop to cling to.
    Ugh - somehow I am able to eat chocolate as I type this.
    JJ

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Oh my goodness, I wouldn't go at it with scissors! I used olive oil, liberally, holding it on the poop until it softened. There was some still stiffly stuck - I picked at it with my fingernails. Yes, I know, yuck, but I've got soap, water and a good nailbrush at my disposal. It only took one good cleaning and it never happened again. Please be careful with scissors!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by