poop tarp ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Renthorin, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    I came across some poop tarp ideas and would like to implement them in my coop. I have two 18x24x6 plastic containers/trays that I'm not using at the moment.

My roost is two 2x4 (flat side up) spaced 12 inches apart and 12 from the wall. They are on 36" boards at the ends so I can move them front, back, and apart if needed, and are 18" off the sand floor.

I would like to string some heavy black garden plastic from the back to the front of the roost. Up front I will add a small piece of wood lower than the roost to hold the front of the tarp.

There will be an opening in in the center of the tarp, centered above the plastic tray.

My question is....will I need to someone screen off the plastic tarp to keep the chickens out of it or will they avoid dropping down between the roost boards?

Will

2. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
  3. Renthorin

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    that was a fun read, thanks for the link.

It didn't answer my question of whether they will climb/fly/fall into the hammock though. I would think not but I've seen people with tubs for catching poop under the roosts and they have wire over them.

I'm going to combine both and have an angled cloth that funnels into tubs ;-)

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    an angled cloth that funnels into tubs ;-)

That concept works for rabbits since the droppings are dry pellets.

For chickens, not so much​

5. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    I have old rabbit cages that my hens sleep inside each night. It has food, water and a large branch roost. A metal tray is underneath each cage (cages come with trays for rabbits) and I catch the poo there. If poo is still on the wire bottom when I let them out to the morning pen, I take a stick and push it through or roll it to the side where it drops out into the tray. I empty the trays once a week for a friend who wants the poo for his garden. I make sure it is all dry and not icky.
    Any icky poo does not get into the poo bucket, but washed away. Trays are cleaned and disinfected each week, let to dry then replaced. Coop is swept clean. Takes about 15-30 minutes, depending on amount of sticky poo. Usually very little.
    You could make trays to fit under the roosts or use the hammock idea. Since I clean out each week, I think the hammock might be more work than the trays.
    It IS a good idea though, and one I may use when we move the girls eventually to new country digs. I liked the ideas on the food and water also. Will use those now.

6. Renthorin

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    I just got back from Lowes and while I didn't buy them, I did see some heavy gauge black plastic bins. They were about 24x36x8 for 13 bucks or so. I'm trying to find a link to post.

I may go that route as they would fit nicely under both roost bars and be easy to remove. Some poo would miss them bucket, so to speak, but most would be caught.

EDIT: found the link:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  7. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    those pans should work perfect and be easy to clean and disinfect. I'll put those on my wish list for new coop ideas. thanks for sharing!

8. Renthorin

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    They were very heavy duty. I'll still probably cut some plexi to angle towards the trays, in the area where they aren't under the roosts.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I've been using those pans for years for feed and water. They are tough and cheap.

I think the last one's I bought were about $8

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by