1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop that looks like a tootsie roll

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mjhavelka, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Mjhavelka

Mjhavelka New Egg

Nov 17, 2016
    Hi all,

I'm totally new to this whole owning quail thing so I apologize if I'm asking a question that has already been answered countless times. I have 12 coturnix quails and one of them (maybe more but i don't think so) has poops that come out kinda looking like a melted/melting tootsie roll in color and shape, is it fair to say that it is a "form" of diarrhea? What could be causing this and what might be the best way to go about treating it? I will work towards getting a picture this evening when I clean the cage.

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I'm no expert on quail illness so I can't be much help. But here is a site that has lots, and I mean lots, of pictures of chicken poop. Maybe take a look and see if you can find something similar to what you are describing. My quails' poop looks like my chickens' poop, just smaller, so I'm going to assume that you can go by what's normal in a chicken.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

3. Mjhavelka

Mjhavelka New Egg

Nov 17, 2016
    Hi lomine,

Thanks for this! Appreciate the quick response. Based on the photos on that site, looks like my bird(s) is having normal poop. I'll definitely monitor it though for possible changes.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    That's good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by