Poop train on my Cochin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SusanMarie, Mar 2, 2009.

1. SusanMarie

SusanMarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    I have a big, huge beautiful Cochin with a really terrible looking back side. The poop seems to stick to her feathers on the way down. This has been the case since she feathered out, she is 6 months old.

I have messed with her on the roost a few times and it will not be knocked off. I was wondering if I should try to cut it off. Whatever I do, I will probably be solo, so advise for one would be great. I do not want to hurt her and if this is just what happens to Cochins it would be great to know that as well.

Thanks for the help.[​IMG]

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    That's what I had to do for my chicks, she will be okay aslong as you don't cut flesh (Just cut right under the dung on the down).

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

My cochins also have that happening. My roo and black girl do not have this issue, I believe they drop their "skirts" to poo, the gray ones don't. Here in the north east, its a bit early to snip any insulating attire on them, but its also not good to have severe pants problems either as its not good for insulation.
    Who knows.........just keep in mind that us with cochins seem to have the problem...although I have a hen that sleeps on the nest box (orthopedic issues- lol curled toes and I let her roost there) she does not drop her pants either to poo.
    Good luck and I hope someone can answer you better then I.

4. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Could you bring her in the house and give her a warm bath and then blow dry her? That may make trimming easier. May want to wait until we are out of the cold weather though, unless its affecting her ability to poo at all.

5. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I think you need to find out why your bird has a runny poo all the time. Maybe fix it from the source instead of just cutting all her feathers. I am not for cutting the feathers at all, just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by