Poop tray/drawer for new coop

LosPollitos

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2020
Hey guys! So I’m designing a small chicken coop for one chicken. She is a little disable and I want to build her own coop and run/tractor that will be close to our other chickens, but will keep her safe from the bullies. I use sand for our coop and run, and I would like to for the coop part of the new build. The chicken in question, Chicken Butt (named by my niece 😂), cannot jump up and fly to roost, so her new roost will be just above the floor. Since the new coop will be small, I would really like to make the majority of the floor a drawer that I can slide out to scoop the poop everyday.

How deep should the sand be? I’m trying to cut down on weight so I can move it around the yard. I will have a separate sand bath box in the covered run, so it’s really just to keep her feet clean and easier to clean the coop.

The drawer idea sounds great, but it might not work. You try to pull the drawer out, and the poop catches because it's on top of the bedding, so it just gets shoved to the back of the drawer. If you're using sand, it'll get heavy pretty quickly, and the drawer won't slide well. If you can get around these issues, then it could work out. Let us know what you come up with.

Back
Top Bottom