Poop tray warmth question

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
So my birds are all young and only the 19 week olds are roosting. Their big roosts are only used by them for exploring right now. They prefer the mid height roosts, and often sleep in a pile on the trays. We are well below zero every night. I've been sprinkling shavings on the boards, cleans up easily enough, but built deeper trays now and have PDZ on hand.

Question is, knowing they will sleep in the tray should I go straight pdz or? I have pine bedding pellets or pine shavings, could get some chopped straw but it's not cheap. Seems the PDZ might be cold to lay on but I'm not sure and hoping for opinions.

At least one bird seems to be always huddled down. Sometimes I'm not sure they wouldn't just prefer the trays alone honestly. But they are young. Thanks!

Nineteen weeks isn't young when considering teaching them to roost. I easily teach five-week old chicks to roost in just a few days.

You teach them by placing them on the roost as night comes and they are wanting to settle in. Placing them as close together as possible will assure they get the comfort and security they crave.

If you have any that are agitated by being on the perch, place your hand on their head and gently exert downward pressure so the head hangs down. This calms and quiets and gets them into a slumber mode. Talk softly and reassuringly to them, and making "shhing" sounds further calms them.

You will be very surprised how quickly they will take to the perch with just a little encouragement.

They are often all on the roost bar itself at bedtime actually but when I go out late to check someone or maybe 2 will be on the board(just a few inches below the 2x4). I'd say the tray is about 38 inches from the floor. Their big roosts are higher still over the brooder. They settle in up there some nights but then move to the medium height one.

The ten week olds are still locked in the brooder at night, I haven't had a rat get in lately since I caught one big one but now its so cold I hate to change their set up yet.

Back
Top Bottom