1. MnChicken6

MnChicken6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2014
    Currently have poop board under roost. The roost bar is a 2x4 spanning width of coop. We have two large pans on poop board but hens keep jumping on the pan and walking in poop and spreading it everywhere in coop. Any ideas on how to prevent them from doing this? Pans are about 10 inches below roost bar.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You might try putting a small amount of sand or substrate on there to make it less "sticky."

Then you can use a kitty litter scoop to clean up the poo (wear N95 mask when sifting sand).

You may enjoy the "poop board convert" thread.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I see several different versions of the N95 masks on Amazon.
    Do you use something like this? '3M 8000 Particle Respirator N95'

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

1 person likes this.
  5. Ankhdad

Ankhdad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2014
    Thunder Bay, ON
    I've been using a product called Stall Dry. It's used on the bottom of horse stalls to help keep the moisture from urine etc down. Looks very much like kitty litter. Been working like a charm. Keeps droppings clumped and keeps the smell in check.
    I believe it's called Sweet PDZ in the states.

6. MnChicken6

MnChicken6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2014
    Still having issues with the hens stepping and walking all over poop board and tracking it around coop. Any ideas to help keep this from happening? Limited on space as its a smaller coop.

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Chicken wire screen above the board for them to walk on and the poop to drop through..

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  8. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    fix a ramp of some kind for them to get to the roost without having to walk on the poop board? of course, chicks gonna do what chicks gonna do! that includes sometimes walking in the poo! HA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by