Poop under my coop

RachelVT

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've had my coop now for about one year... its 2 1/2 feet off the ground and my chickens love to walk around underneath....i love it too since it gives them more room.

Here's my problem...it's too low down for me to get under it to clean under it. I've used a rake to get some out but it seems to miss a lot of poop. Any suggestions on how to get the poop out from underneath. I can only get at it from one side since the rest are meshed in.

It was not a problem at first but now i think its been a whole year and the poops have pilled up.
barnie.gif

Farm girl to the rescue! stores like tractor supply have a push scraper or a livestock scraper that has a long handle. It is made to be used in hog confinement buildings.

The good ones have a curve to the shovel and you can flip it upside down to drag stuff out.

108690.jpg

Okay...first you're going to need a small child. If you don't have one, find someone that doesn't mind "Loaning" theirs to you...
Grandkids would work wonderfully for this. Give him a little sand shovel and tell him to hunt "Treasures" from under the coop.
Tell him/her you will give him/her $1.00 for a bucket full of treasures.
You get a clean coop, they get a dollar. Win/win.
yesss.gif

I have sand in my run, so I attached a cat litter scoop on the end of a pvc pipe with duct tape. Works great!

I don't know what your dimensions are but if it's not too big maybe you could put something that works like a tray so you can pull it out to clean. I have one under the roost in the coop. I can open an outside door and clean under the roost without disturbing anyone.

I have the same situation. My chickens love to go under our coop as well. We designed it this way so that we could optimize a little more run space for the girls, and also (more importantly) make cleaning the coop, a stoop free endeavor. Here's my coop:

And here's my solution! It's easy peasy to keep the poop out! Click here to learn more about how I made it!

Kelly
Our Country Chronicles

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom