1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hen_House_Rocks!, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    I noticed earlier this week that while my 4 week old pullets were free ranging, that they would make a beeline for their coop to go poop. They'd squat and then run back out again to hang with the girls. Anyone else's chickens poop in their coop instead of in the grass??

2. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Hen_House_Rocks! :

I noticed earlier this week that while my 4 week old pullets were free ranging, that they would make a beeline for their coop to go poop. They'd squat and then run back out again to hang with the girls. Anyone else's chickens poop in their coop instead of in the grass??

That's funny. It's like their outhouse. No, thankfully mine don't mind pooping outside.​

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens poop very little in their coop anymore. When they get let out in the morning, everyone has a big poop; like they were holding it all night.

4. Hen_House_Rocks!

Jul 30, 2009
    Dang. Maybe my chicks could come over for a sleepover and learn something from yours?! Oh well, I'm pretty good with a shovel and have plenty experience shoveling poo. [​IMG]

5. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    LOL! naw mine don't mind pooping every where and at any time, actually almost non stop all day and pretty much all night.....

Connie

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine are pooping machines. They poop EVERYWHERE they can.

7. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    If you can potty train your chickens .. I have a 3 year old boy I would like you to take a crack at .... [​IMG]

8. Hen_House_Rocks!

Jul 30, 2009
    I certainly have plenty of experience with potty training kids, too! Seems like most days about all I accomplish are feeding kids, animals and cleaning up poo and other ucky messes. A day in the life of a mom... [​IMG]

9. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Oy. I'm glad I saw this! Mine poop ALL night long in their coop and have filled all the nesting boxes with poo. When they start laying, we're going to have some filthy, nasty eggs![​IMG][​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Welcome to BYC!
    Sleeping and/or roosting on the nestboxes leads to poopy eggs.
    It's possible to break them from sleeping in the nestboxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by