Poop

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SowdersHomestead, Dec 2, 2011.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    My 11 cornishes are in a pen at the barn 8*10. About every 2 days I have to spread a thin layer of shavings out because they will just lay in it. I'd like to do 100 after the holidays but will go through bedding like crazy and make it not profitable.

What does everyone else do?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I have a 10x12 coop and I use deep litter, so I do not add any shavings; just mix it up every now and then.

Do you not have enough shavings in there?

I also bag up all my grass clippings and fallen leaves to use instead of shavings in my other pens.

It helps save on the cost of shavings.

[​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We deal with having to add bedding frequently in the brooder but then move them to tractors at 3wks old and the tractors get moved every day.

4. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:I was going to say tractoring them will pretty much eliminate that problem.. I personally would not raise that many birds in a stationary coop..jmo

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Straw is cheaper and easier to clean

6. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:I was going to say tractoring them will pretty much eliminate that problem.. I personally would not raise that many birds in a stationary coop..jmo

Ditto here - it's SO much easier just to scoot them along to a new spot each day than it is to go in and clean out after them! I love having them mobile...chicken tractors...they're like rvs for poultry!

7. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I'm going to do a couple tractors this spring. The poo builds up where they lay at night. So it doesn't really have time to dry out and get shuffled into the bedding. They only have this week left before dressing so I guess I'll just have to do the tractors here in a few months.

Thanks

8. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Quote:What they said ... We just raised 15 cornish x and we added a layer of hay each day and then cleaned it all out at the end of each week. Great compost!!

9. farmer9989

farmer9989 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    alba texas
    leafs are the cheapest and best

10. hamilton3475

hamilton3475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama

Ditto here - it's SO much easier just to scoot them along to a new spot each day than it is to go in and clean out after them! I love having them mobile...chicken tractors...they're like rvs for poultry!

How do you keep predators from digging under the tractor?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by