Poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SperryChx, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SperryChx

SperryChx New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Fayetteville NC
    I've got 3 baby chicks that are a week old today (our first chicks!) One chick has runny or very soft brown poop - it looks distinctly different than the nice little poop packages her sisters produce. All chicks are eating, drinking and sleeping well, they don't huddle under the light, and seem very comfortable. Am I being a mother hen to worry about the runny brown poop? (no signs of pasty butt btw)

I doubt breed is an issue - but this chick is one of 2 Silver Wynadotte girls. Our other chick is a "Cinnamon Queen"

Thanks!

2. Grizlore

Grizlore New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Runny poop is a symptom of worms. Go pick up some de-wormer for the chickens.

3. Grizlore

Grizlore New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Google Chicken poop and you will find links to diagnose your hens

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    This is a week old chick, so no need to deworm. At the worst, it could be coccidiosis, though that usually doesn't show up until 4 weeks. When my chicks get runny poo at such a young age, it's usually more about stress, old feed, too cold, etc. rather than an illness. I think you're worrying too much [​IMG] I would give them some probiotics, maybe a little raw apple cider vinegar and yogurt in their water, and call it good. Just keep watching them. From what you described, they are acting healthy, so I would remain calm for the time being.

5. my sunwolf

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Oh, and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. SperryChx

SperryChx New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Fayetteville NC
    Thanks Chicken Obsessed. I readily admit to being a nervous new mother, and I've googled more chicken poo than any suburban woman should.

Are they old enough for yogurt? Also, is there a correct dose of ACV? their container holds about 2 cups of water - is 1/2 teaspoon too much?

Thanks for the welcome.

7. my sunwolf

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop

Ha, googling poo is just the beginning [​IMG]

I have started giving yogurt as early as 3 days old (the age they usually get to you unless you hatch them out). They sometimes have trouble with the texture, so I will often use a little yogurt water in the water, or I will mix some feed into yogurt for them.

ACV dose is only to make sure they'll still drink the water--too much won't hurt them. I'd say 1T per gallon, so 1/2 tsp sounds like a good amount for their waterer. Make sure it isn't metal as metal and vinegar don't mix.

Good luck with your babies!

8. SperryChx

SperryChx New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Fayetteville NC
    Thanks so much. We tried the yogurt with them last night. 1 liked it - the other 2 thought we were crazy - I'll try it with food. The poop is still weird in the one chick, but everyone is growing and acting fine so I'm just going to roll with it.

9. LPeaslee

LPeaslee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Utah
    Don't stress too much over the runny poop if you chick is acting normal, your chicks digestive system needs to adjust to the new diet. The biggest threat to your chick with runny poop is pasty butt. For the life of your chickens, 1 out of every 10 poops will be runny, its called "cecal" poop. You shouldn't have to worry about worms until the chicks are outside, where they could be exposed to wild bird poop. Worming is hard on Chickens and can kill chicks, the label should tell you at what age you can worm your chickens.

here is some good information about poop.

Relax and have fun.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  10. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I had one chick with sloppy poo last spring. Not sure why, maybe she drank more water than the others. On the advice of someone here at BYC, I ground up a bit of uncooked oatmeal. The type in a box, not the type in the packet with sugar, spices, etc. Gave it to all the girls as a treat and they loved it.

Worked like a charm, firmed the sloppy poo right up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by