Poopey Butt and Gender

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fuzz, May 19, 2009.

1. fuzz

fuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Rajah my chick sultan has pasty butt or something. Is this dangerous? Its not a lot of poo but it wont come off so I left it alone. All the other chicks are clean. What should I do?

At what age can you tell what gender they are? I already have my guess that one is a rooster and 3 are hens because the "roo" struts, is bigger, Its beak already has a large bump on it much bigger than the others and on the top of its head is larger and fluffier giving him the entire rooster look. Or cockerel if you prefer for now. They are all about a week old now.

2 Silkies and 2 Sultans (Bantys) and they couldnt be bought sexed because they are too small but I was wondering when and how anyways.

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    get the poo off by putting its butt under warm water and massaging it till it comes off. a little will turn into a lot fast and it is best to just clean it off now.

edit yes it is dangerous , dont know about the sexing though

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  3. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Thank You, Will do it now!

4. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:Since I am still a bit new can you explain why its dangerous. I mean, I am using some of my 10+ years of rabbit raising in this because its not dangerous if the rabbit has a little poo on its tush so I would love to be educated. I soak up anything about animals [​IMG]

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

A little bit of poop will turn into a lot of poop and then completely plug the chick up so he can't poop any more. Death will be the result.

So clean the poop off under a stream of warm running water, dry the chick and put him back under the brooder lamp to keep him warm.

Remember to check the chick daily for a while, sometimes they will have to be cleaned two or three times.

6. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:Okay I am leaving now to go save the little chicky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by