Poopie bottoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by juliawitt, Jul 26, 2011.

1. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Sorry for the poopie topic.....However, it is so HOT, that for treats, which the girls expect, I grew tomatoes. They are getting tomatoes, giant cucumbers and squash for treats. No one is acting ill, but several have "nasty" bottoms. Can chickens get the "runs" from too many vegies?? I have a mixed flock, so the oldest are almost 3. All were given medicated crumbles for their first 9 weeks, so I would not expect them to have cocci. I wormed them 4 months ago. I know they can have runney poo from heat stress.....So, maybe I shouldn't worry?? I am holding off on the treats today...no fresh veggies..and I'm getting the stink eye for it. As a side note, I am adding electrolytes to their water and giving them fresh water 3 times a day to help with the heat stress.

Any ideas??

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, definitely they can get poopy butts from too many fruits and veggies, and along with the high heat indexes it is going to be worse. I would limit the amount of these things for a while so they don't get dehydrated. I only allow a tiny bit of veggies and fruits everyday and still they get some runs.

I think your babies are ok, just keep it to a minimum for a while. [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and electrolytes in excess can cause some runs, so I would cut the normal amount recommended in half. [​IMG]

4. juliawitt

Aug 9, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Electrolytes are given once a day, and then I skip on the second watering. I will cut some more.

Cut down the treats also, now I'm monitoring bottoms.....LOL

5. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Try a little live-culture plain yogurt. My four girls get about a quarter cup mixed with their wet mash every other day or so. Seems to do the trick. They also get shredded kale or half a zucchini or a slice of cold watermelon (great in this heat!) each day, and they seem to be balancing out pretty well. Hopefully it'll work for you!

mm

6. juliawitt

Aug 9, 2009
    Only two cucumbers and 3 tomatoes split between 16 girls yesterday. Amazingly, my orps are pigs and gobbled up most of the treat. They don't have poopie bottoms. I did not give electolytes either. Everyone seems perky considering the heat. My DH says I watch them too closely and I should relax.....he's probably right. However, once a mother, always a mother......my kids are grown, so I have transfered my "overprotection" to the chickies!

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I hear you sister! [​IMG] My chickens are my babies, since I have nothing to baby now. My husband is complaining that the chickens are getting all the attention. [​IMG]

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mine all have poopy butts from drinking so much water in this hot weather. I give them all trims back there. It helps.

9. juliawitt

Aug 9, 2009
    Our favorite chicken is Sam. I actually bought pet 'towlettes' and have been cleaning her bottom....haven't mentioned that to my DH!! No treats yesterday except two cucumbers and two small tomotoes. Today is going to be a scorcher. Hate seeing my girls pant........I'm really hating this weather......

10. cacholachicks

cacholachicks New Egg

Jun 30, 2014
    Hi ladies and gents:)! I read all the above info and still have questions. My chicken is 1 yr old and has a poopy bottom. We cut away some fur and washed the bottom. Should
    We
    Now try the yogurt suggestion? She is the only one in the flock and it started when we relocated the coop! I thought it could
    Be nerves. Please advise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by