Poopin' through the "roof"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Aisle12Farms, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Aisle12Farms

Aisle12Farms Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    One of our Golden Bluff hens (Bella) became blind...reason unknown. My daughter has chosen to raise Bella as a pet. We acquired a large rabbit hutch for her to live in. We placed the hutch on the floor in a large stall in our barn, where our ten new babies live. The thought was to give her company that would be kinder than the older birds we raised her with (they were pecking her). So far, so good. Here is the problem: The babies like to hang out on top of Bella's cage - and poop in on her. I have tried to raise the cage (the babies still manage to get up on top of the cage), and I have covered the top of the hutch with cardboard to prevent the droppings from getting through to Bella (the cardboard is a mess and smells!). Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    laying a thin sheet of plywood at a 45 degree angle and attach it some how (don't know how your set up) and they will slide off and not poop on her ending your problem.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by