... Pooping blood?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Senrik, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Senrik

Senrik New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I posted a while ago about taking care of an injured chick. Broken wing, skin torn away from the underside of one leg to the point of seeing the bone. I finally got her to eat, and she's a bit more active now, even playfully nibbling on my fingers while I switch out her food and water dishes, but... She's sort of pooping a clearish liquid with what looks like little bits of tomato. It's not tomato of course, but that's just what it looks like visually. Sort of jelly-ish and red. It's not a whole lot, just about the size of one tomato seed with all that red jelly stuff around it each time she poops (which has only been twice with the blood in it so far). Is it even blood? If it is, what does this mean? And what can I do to make it better?

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    My first thought was coccidia, but that doesn't sound right. :\ What happened to her? Maybe she has some kind of internal damage?

3. Senrik

Senrik New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    She was pecked by the other chicks. I wasn't there when it happened. She originally belonged to a teacher at my school who brought about a hundred chicks to school for an FFA thing, so I have no idea exactly how old she is, what breed she is, or what exactly happened while she was being pecked. I've been thinking internal damage is possible too, though I'm desperately hoping that's not the case, but she doesn't seem like she's in any kind of pain, and she's eating and drinking fine now, thought only when I set her in front of her dishes.

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Is she on medicated feed? If not I would put her on it just in case.
    Other than that, I have no idea what else it could be. :\ Maybe someone with a little more expertise in this department will comment. If she's acting okay and she's on meds, I don't know what else you could be doing for her. Sounds like you're doing the best you can at this point. I hope she heals up nicely. :)

5. Senrik

Senrik New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    She is on medicated feed, and I'm mixing the Sav-A-Chick formula in with her water. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow morning, so hopefully they'll be able to find out what's wrong with her! This is the first chick of any kind I've ever had, and I'm not ever really planning on having any other chickens or other poultry so this little girl's pretty special to me :p Thanks for helping, and I'll post some time tomorrow to let everyone know how the visit to the vet went ^^

6. Senrik

Senrik New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    Unfortunately the little one passed away last night. I woke up at one of the alarms I set throughout the night to check on her and she had passed :(

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Aw. :( I'm sorry. [​IMG] I hate losing little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by